Monday 25 April 2011

8.1 Monday
Sweet Chilli Chicken




Sweet Chilli Chicken


Ingredients


4 portions of chicken
2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
Half tin of tinned tomatoes
Bunch of coriander and thyme, chopped
1 onion, chopped
Garlic clove, chopped
2sp seasoning
4sp sugar
1sp cooking oil
Cup of hot water
1½ cups of rice
Chilli (optional)
Vegetables
Cornflour (optional, for thickening sauce)


Method


In a large frying pan, brown the chicken in the cooking oil. When this is done, add the onion, garlic, seasoning and stir until softened. 


Then add all of the tomatoes, coriander and thyme. Add the sugar, chilli and hot water. Stir in, place a lid on the pan and allow to cook for a further 20-25 minutes. Check regularly and add more hot water if necessary, or a little cornflour if you need to thicken the juices.


Measure out 1½ cups of white rice into a saucepan. Half fill with cold water and wash the rice by hand, rubbing the grains between your hands. This will create cloudy water, which you should pour away. Repeat until the water runs clear.

Finally, add some fresh water to cover the rice and then add more water to double the depth in the pan. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat right down, put on a lid and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. Please check and add more water if you feel it is required.



Prepare the vegetables and serve.


This recipe appears on Shopping List 8

1 comment:

  1. I dont know what Sweet Chilli Chicken is meant to taste like, but my eldest daughter says its not the same as she has had before but it was still very nice. I found the sauce was a little oto thin for my liking and would add some flour next time I do it. The onions I have are quite small so I also used a shallot which I have in at the moment. I didnt see the coriander on the shopping list, but I grow it so used a bunch from my plant. I had 2 small chillies that needed using up, so I put both in. I thought it was a very aromatic dish and would definitely make it again with one or two small adjustments

    ReplyDelete